Thursday, October 4, 2012

More High School Information

In subbing for Benicia on Wednesday, I had a chance to talk briefly with 8th graders about visiting high schools.  Some students have already done "shadow" visits, where they accompany a current student through a few classes.  I had some recommendations to make to students, based on my many years teaching at an independent high school (Maybeck) and observing middle school visitors.

Student visits are a marketing event: schools want the visitors to want to apply and choose their school.  Students should not feel like they are under the microscope or auditioning for the part.  That said, however, students do not want to call negative attention to themselves through the way they present themselves, their language, or their lack of engagement.  More than once I bothered to track down the admissions director at Maybeck to report on a student's blatant disengagement or discourteous behavior; many, too, were the times I sought him out to note an animated or highly engaged participant.

I will keep the "Upcoming Events" section of the blog up to date with high school related events as they come up.  Representatives from some independent schools will be offering lunch time presentations at TBS; encourage your kids to come and find out.  The more exposure they have, the more opportunities they have to discuss high school, the better prepared they will be for participating in this process.

Catholic schools prefer to invite students (and parents) to their campus for tours.  I have set up a tour at Saint Mary's HS for Monday, November 5, from 9:30 to 12:30.  If you respond to my email "High School Search" dated Sept 26 - as many of you have already - I will put your student's name on the visitor list for that day.  I will need a few parent drivers; let me know, preferably in that same email chain, if you would be able to drive.  Parents will have a separate tour with Larry Puck, the admissions director.

Bishop O'Dowd HS welcomes TBS to participate in one of their public tours Friday, October 19, from 9-11AM.  In order to join this tour, you must, however, register on line:  http://www.bishopodowd.org/anet/campus_tours/   Once you sign up, please send me an email (ggriswold@theberkeleyschool.org) with the subject line: O'DOWD TOUR.  I will get back in touch with you about transportation options.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog