Monday, October 15, 2012

Update on High School Process

Here's an update of the all-consuming HS process…

TEST PREP CLASS:  This afternoon 14 wet and weary beach-combing 8th graders spent an hour sizing up the basic math for their upcoming high school admissions tests.  I've attached a copy of the Seven Helpful Tips that we talked about today before reviewing some vocabulary.  Students went home with a 20ish page packet of review materials, including 46 practice problems.  I recommend that students read over the review part and work on the practice problems before our session next Monday, when we'll look at some more practical strategies for figuring out the more algebraic problems they'll face on the tests.

O'DOWD:  I sent home permission slips with those students whose parents had asked that I include them in the O'Dowd visit this Friday.  MaryBeth is particularly interested in the learning support at O'Dowd, so she will accompany the kids.  We need 2 more drivers to help with that outing.  Please see the permission slip (attached electronically) by Wednesday and consider driving.  We'll need to leave campus at 8:20 in order to get to O'Dowd in time for the 9:00 tour.

LUNCH TIME VISIT:  Athenian high school admissions director Chris Beeson will meet with interested students this Wednesday at lunch.  Chris is a perfect first contact for kids in their investigation of independent high schools.  He'll field questions and demystify the process.  Encourage your student to attend.

HIGH SCHOOL FAIR:  Remember the admissions event this Wednesday night 7-9 PM at the Scottish Rite Temple, 1547 Lakeside Drive in Oakland.  A dozen independent and Catholic high schools will be on hand to talk with you and provide application information.

INDIVIDUAL APPTS:  I am sorry that my WIKI calendar of meeting times has lapsed.  The next couple of Saturdays include the Cal/Stanford big game and an admissions event here on campus, but I'll try to post some early morning or afternoon weekday times soon, perhaps even some times in conjunction with the academic conferences November 1 and 2. 

Thanks to all the parents who drove on today's field trip.  Jeff's turning these guys into field scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog